The Authority and #1 Resource online for Diversity Recruitment...
Home Invites Members Careers News Blogs
Home > Strategies & How To's > Post Content

Tackling the Glass Ceiling for Diverse Recruits - Eliminating Hidden Discriminatory Hiring Practices (774 hits)

The problem with hidden hiring discrimination is that you can't fight what you can't see. When a lack of diversity is present in any institution, there is likely a failure in minority recruiting to blame. However, when hiring discrimination is hidden, it's difficult to overcome the problem and bring an institution into line with diversity recruitment best practices.

The NBA Problem

Let's look at one such example. The NBA, still reeling from the recent scandal surrounding LA Clippers' owner Donald Sterling, certainly appears on our TV screens to be one institution that is absolutely brimming with diversity. In 2011, the NBA's player rosters were comprised of 78 percent African Americans, with whites, Latinos, and Asian players making up the remaining 22 percent of the field.

There is a hidden problem, however. And that is that the appearance of diversity among players blurs the lack of diversity recruitment best practices at the management level. Minority recruiting may be strong for the guys pushing the ball down the court, but owners, managers, and coaches are overwhelmingly white, with African-American coaches making up only 18.6 percent of the field.

The same lack of commitment to minority recruitment holds true at the collegiate basketball coaching level. It appears that the reason for such disparity between the racial makeup of players and management lies with the lack of solid minority recruiting practices for coaches and management level positions. While advancements like the NFL's "Rooney Rule" help guarantee interviews for minority candidates for professional football coaching positions, the NBA has no such program, and the NCAA is limited by its non-profit status.

The Problem at Large

To eliminate these unfortunate hidden hiring discrimination practices that limit the diversity of management positions in many fields, not just professional or elite-level sports, firms have to make a deep commitment to diversity recruitment best practices. Headhunting firms should be carefully vetted to ensure that their diversity recruitment practices are in line with your institution's goals so that the middleman doesn't prevent your company from culling the most qualified, most diverse candidates from which to hire. Hidden discrimination can be eliminated once it's brought to light. Commitment to diversity means going above and beyond looking at statistics and getting into the trenches to seek and find the most qualified diverse candidates.
Posted By: Will Moss
Sunday, January 4th 2015 at 2:15AM
You can also click here to view all posts by this author...

Report obscenity | post comment
Share |
Please Login To Post Comments...
Email:
Password:

 
More From This Author
Intel's Diversity and Inclusion Midyear Report and the Road Ahead
Symantec Black Employee Resource Group Meet & Greet For HBCU Alumni & Black Professionals
How Bayer Increased Diversity on Its Senior Ranks
Denise Young Smith - Vice President, Worldwide Human Resources, Apple Inc.
HBCU CONNECT announces another successful recruiting event with Microsoft!
Trying To Hire A Diverse Team Of Engineers? It's Not Just A Pipeline Issue
Tech Companies Need New Strategies... By Joelle Emerson
Maxine Williams - Chief Diversity Officer, Facebook
Forward This Article Entry!
Strategies & How To's Home
Popular Articles
Prioritizing Diversity In 2015
Just Getting Started? 3 Basic Diversity Recruitment Strategies That Work
Steve Pemberton - Chief Diversity Officer, Walgreens
Apple to Invest over $40 Million Dollars in Recruiting Talent from HBCUs...
Maxine Williams - Chief Diversity Officer, Facebook
Recruit Diverse Professionals
crystal dully
new jersey state lead
presidential inaugural committee
takiyah mozingo
imc ii
wayne co. dept. of social services
andre whyte
engineer
wpix tribune
More Diversity Candidates>>
Contributors
Will Moss
Senior Editor & Chief
HBCU CONNECT, LLC
www.hbcuconnect.com
Stacie Coulter
Senior Editor & Chief
HBCU CONNECT, LLC
www.hbcuconnect.com
Lorenzo Esmoquin
Senior Editor & Chief
HBCU CONNECT, LLC
www.hbcuconnect.com
Elynor Moss
Senior Editor & Chief
HBCU CONNECT, LLC
www.hbcuconnect.com